Friday, June 9, 2006

Porky goodness

As discussed elsewhere, I am attempting to make, if not bacon, at least some smoked pork kind of thing. To this end, I bought several lumps of belly pork from the less-than-completely-hygienic Tomohon market, and I have smeared them with a combination of salt and palm sugar, and they shall stay in the fridge for a while. How exactly I am going to smoke them has not yet been determined, but it will involve coconut shells and clove wood.
Everyone has the misapprehension that what I want to make is ragey (lumps of pork grilled on a skewer). Many times I have explained that actually, no, nice though it is, ragey is not what I want to make, and I explain about how I want to smoke the pork over a period of at least several hours so that it has a nice smoky flavour. That’s not how you make ragey, they say.

(The picture is of course of a different porky event — this was the roast pig my landlord’s family brought us at Christmas, nicely wrapped in brown paper.)

No comments: